Star Mince Pies
Homemade mince pies, so yummy, and here's a great recipe for Star Mince Pies. YUM!
There’s nothing better than home-made mince pies- we promise the taste will make it worth the effort!
(If you have allergies, please check the recipe before eating or handling, and please take care in cooking).
Sweet Shortcrust pastry:
170g Carr’s Plain Flour
a pinch of Salt
2 tbsp Caster Sugar
1 Egg Yolk
2 tbsp cold Water
Ready-made Icing or Marzipan
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C (Fan 160°C, Gas Mark 4)
2. To make the sweet shortcrust pastry, sift the flour and salt into a large bowl. Cut cold butter into small pieces, rub into the flour and then add the sugar.
3. Stir the egg yolk into the water and gently add to the other ingredients with the blade of a knife.
4. Gently work together by hand and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
5. Then roll out the pastry and cut 12 round shapes to fit your shallow 12-hole pastry tin.
6. Grease the tin and put the cut pastry into each hole, add a teaspoonful of your favourite mincemeat and bake for around 10 mins. Watch carefully as the sweet pastry can burn.
7. Roll out the white icing or marzipan or a combination of both for more indulgence. Then cut out 12 stars with a cutter, and place on top of the mince pies when cooled.
8. Try toasting the marzipan star with a chef’s blowtorch for a decorative finish.
12 PIES 45 MINS PREP BAKE 10 MINS
This lovely recipe is brought to you from Carr's Flour, known in baking circles as the flour that's tried and trusted by Britain's best artisan and trade bakers, they have recently launched their online shop (https://shop.carrsflour.co.uk/)